Another lazy, sunny Sunday up North.
And actually, I should be working on my thesis here … But, as it is the weekend, I have decided to share a few photo impressions with you instead. Here is some progress on my bodiced petticoat for the HSF challenge #5: “Bodice”:
The Bodice Front
This is the gathered neckline on top of the bodice front. It took some figuring-out to until I realized how to get the drawstring to lace to one side, like it does in the extant original. For the binding, I used some handmade bias tape. :)
The Skirt Bottom
As with the chemise, there will be lace. I hemmed it in with bias tape on the back and, finding some left-over hemp cord, decided to put in some doubled cording at the back.
The Fabric And I…
As you might have already read on facebook, the fabric has my knickers in a twist. It is a really pretty lavender cotton poplin. But, after washing and ironing, it has turned out to be almost un-hand-sewable and pretty resistant to pinning. As it is so difficult, and yet so very pretty, I have nicknamed it “Marilyn”. And here is what Marilyn does to my pins, not to mention her need of extra easing:
But, all in all, I love this fabric… oh Marilyn, you have stolen this costumer’s heart. ;)
Wishing you a lovely Sunday.