HSF #5: A Lavender Petticoat

This week has been a bit busy, but today I finally get to show you some details of the completed “Bodice” challenge. I hereby present to you Lady Marilyn Lavender, my bodiced petticoat. *beams* First of all, here are the challenge specifics:

The Challenge: #5 Bodice.

Fabric: Light lavender cotton poplin.

Pattern: My own, made from a modern bodice pattern with period alterations. The whole project was inspired by an extant petticoat, from the Metropolitan Museum’s collection.

Year: 1810-ish.

How accurate is it? About 65%. The fabric was almost completely resistant to all hand-sewing attempts, so 3/4 of the seams are sewn by machine.
*cringes and hides*. The buttonholes, casings and pleats are all hand-made, though. I really wished there would be more hand-sewn things about it.

Notions: Punched lace and doubled hemp cord for the hem; bias tape; soft bobbin tape for the drawstrings; 2 buttons.

Hours to complete: Approximately a week… what’s that in hours?

First worn: For photos and fitting.

Total cost: About € 18.

How happy am I with it? All in all, very happy. It fits over my stays perfectly, giving a lot of extra support. I am pretty stunned about suddenly having a proper Regency “shelf” shape, front and back. Now I really want to make a little bustle pad to complete the look. :)

And now, here are some pictures of the finished project. For some additional details, have a quick look-see at last week’s post, over here. ;)

The front: My version compared to the “original” at the Met.

The back.

The center back view: Buttons, a drawstring, and some pleats.

Hand-bound buttonholes. =)

The front view: Double drawstring casing, tucks and the waistband, finished to the outside.

Regency-style “princess” seam and lowered shoulder seam line at the back.

The bottom end: Shortening tucks, punched lace and a peek at the removable cording.

And that was my little challenge update already. I promise to be good again now and blog some more. After hours, my thesis produces quite a few sewn by-products, wanting to be shared. And, blogging about them for you, is definitely one of my biggest inspirations.

See you all soon.

Nessa

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “HSF #5: A Lavender Petticoat

  1. Tea in a Teacup says:

    You have done a great job reproducing this! It looks lovely, and the touch of lace around the bottom is just perfect. (If I had of realised that bodiced petticoats had lace, I would have put some on mine!)

    I also noticed that the waistband on this one is quite low (compared to dresses of the time), which makes me feel better cos I accidentally made my bodiced petticoat waistline too low and now I can pretend it was on purpose!

    • Nessa says:

      Thank you so much. =) I did not know about the lace before seeing this extant one, either. So that was all the more reason to reproduce it.

      As for the waistband: I made the toile to fit over my short stays and felt much comfier about having it a little lower, too. This way it stops the stays from getting funny ideas, such as hiking up. ;)

      Funnily I saw a girl on Youtube the other day, who had made a regular Regency petticoat, without the bodice. It was high-waisted, with the waistline coming up in the exact same area, and not much higher. So, no real “accident” there.

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s