HSM Re-Do: The Finished Regency Ensemble

Finally, the dress is complete. I wore it quite extensively over the holidays and, just now, my dad volunteered to take some pictures for you. :) Now I can show it all to you, at long last. Yay! =)

The last thing I had to do to make it wearable for the cold season, was to baste in the undersleeves. I made them from an extant sleeve pattern I found in my stash and shortened them about 4 inches to fit in with the short sleeve’s bottom band. The undersleeves also have a waistband to match. But, long story short, here they are:

img_0133

The basted-in undersleeves.

After that final step was done, it was nearly Christmas Eve and I got to don the whole ensemble to our little family dinner. It wears very well and is more comfortable than I had thought. Right now, I am wearing it again, because I did not want to get out of it again after taking the pictures. ;)

As for that, here are the two photos I liked best and the challenge details for the Historical Sew Monthly:

img_0592

The finished early Regency gown.

img_0594

A look at the back (and out the window).

Here are two more photos I shot without the undersleeves in place. Please excuse the bad quality and messy, unladylike hair-do. ;)

img_0580

The short-sleeved gown.

img_0575

And the back view.

Making this gown took quite a long while, so here are the challenge facts to hopefully make it easier to keep track of everything:

The Challenge: #12: Re-Do

What Challange/s are you re-doing? “#2 – Blue” and also “#10 – Sewing Secrets” in a way, since the sheer fabric has needed a few invisible mends already. ;)

Fabric: Three yards of open-weave cotton with blue yarn-dyed stripes.

Pattern: Adapted from Sense & Sensibility’s Regency Drawstring Dress and an extant under-sleeve pattern.

Year: 1800-1805

Notions: Waxed cotton thread; about 1 yd of cotton bias tape and 1.5 yards of woven cotton tape. The rest was made from self-fabric.

How historically accurate is it? It is all hand-sewn and, except for two invisible inner skirt seams. Plus it has no closure and is slipped over the head. So I will give it about 97%.

Total cost: The fabric was a coupon end-piece and most notions came from the stash, so about € 10 in total.

Hours to complete: I made it over several months, spending many evenings sewing and re-sewing things. I’d add it all up to roughly 100 hours.

First worn: For the family Christmas dinner.

Whew, this should sum it all up. Now it is time to look ahead into 2016.
I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year. May all your wishes and sewing plans come true! :)

All the best and a Happy 2016,
Nessa

Advertisements

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s