HSM #1: A Procrastinated Chemise

Finally, I get to break the radio silence to share a new blog post with you. The final exam season at uni has picked up speed and it has been a bit of a toughie to fit in the usual amount of blogging and sewing with it. Nevertheless, the first HSM challenge of the year, “Procrastination”, has motivated me to make the new Regency chemise I have wanted for ages now.

Every time I did a fitting or took photos throughout the last year, I thought “Oh my, I could really use a new chemise!” This is what qualified this project for the challenge. And I actually did it! It is even mostly hand-sewn. For me, this is simply the best and prettiest way to work gussets and flat-felled seams, with an extra amount of control.

So here is a picture of the complete chemise. I took it when I should have been revising… ahem. The fabric I used is a basic light voile I bought in France. Even though it is cotton, it handles like a fine linen that was often used to make chemises for the upper classes in the Regency era.

A look at the finished chemise.

To finish the edges, I used two kinds of hems: 1/4″ hand-rolled hems for the sleeves and a 3/4″ double-turned hem at the bottom. This is how I usually do it, to add a little extra weight and make the chemise hang more nicely. Here is a quick close-up of both hems:

The 1/4″ rolled hem at the sleeves.

The bottom hem. You can see how the fabric almost looks like a fine linen. =)

These are all the photos I have taken so far. This leaves the challenge facts to round off the project:

The Challenge: #1 – “Procrastination”

Fabric: Two yards of light cotton voile.

Pattern: Laughing Moon #115 – Regency & Romantic Era Corset.

Year: 1800-1815.

Notions: Cotton thread; cotton bobbin drawstring.

How historically accurate is it? It is mostly hand-sewn and I did my best to stick to period techniques. So I would say it’s 90% accurate, give or take.

Hours to complete: About 30-40 hours.

First worn: Not yet, but I am much looking forward to it!

Total cost: Around € 8 (which was the cost of the fabric).

 

And that was all the sewing I got to finish this month. Most likely, the busy time will go on for this month and the next. After that I am hoping to get back into my usual sewing routine again and to spend more time with you on the blog. I miss you all very much!

Love, Nessa

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “HSM #1: A Procrastinated Chemise

    • Nessa says:

      Thank you, Rowenna! Your shift came out very lovely, too. And we absolutely do, don’t we? :D Shifts are a kind of “necessary evil” project: You need them, but, meh, gussets and flat-felled seams. ;)

    • Nessa says:

      Thank you, Mimi!! I think the fabric also contributes a lot to the look. I bought it in France and I remember that when I stood in the fabric store, looking at some of their fine cottons, I could not help but wonder if I had just stepped into the 19th century. ;)

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s