To top off the robe de style from the previous post, I made a quick and easy flanel mantlet. For it, I used this 1921 pattern as a visual source.
Mine is about knee length with my wrist-to-wrist measure as the width. As suggested in the small drawing in the bottom corner, I used a check fabric. It is pretty, with the weird side effect of de-focussing my camera at some angles. ;)
After opening up the front as shown, I hemmed the outside edges. The inner edges are wrapped with some leftover blue wool that is about 15 cm wide on the whole. Over the shoulders, I attached a similar band, embroidered with some lines of chain and stem stitch.
To wrap the slit, I stitched in the ditch and brought the wool bands around the edge like so:
The portion of the slit that goes over the shoulders is closed up with a short line of ladder stitch. I did this instead of the herringbone stitch suggested in the pattern.
The finished product then looked like this:
At the bottom, the sleeves were to be formed with the ever-popular 1920s snap cufflinks, poked through buttonholes. I found this interesting period ad for them.
Being eager to finish the mantlet, I improvised using regular big snaps, hidden under fabric-covered buttons.
The mantlet wears like a charm and I would absolutely put it on for modern day wear, going with the current poncho fashion. Here some de-focused photos of the completed item.
see you soon, Nessa